Aerial Cutting of Trees with a Chainsaw Using Free-fall Techniques
To enable course members to:
- Understand the legislation and safety guidelines pertaining to the use of a chainsaw from a rope and harness Understand the safety considerations to be observed in organising a worksite
- Carry out pre-start checks to the chainsaw, cold and hot starting techniques
- Demonstrate techniques for hauling chainsaws into the tree and attaching them appropriately to the harness Use appropriate techniques for establishing secure and comfortable work positions
- Demonstrate the appropriate use of various step and sink cuts and correct final pruning cuts
- Use top-handled and lightweight rear-handled chainsaws in a safe and efficient manner to remove light and medium weight branches
- Understand and fulfill the duties and responsibilities of a competent grounds person
- Deal with arisings appropriately.
Who is the Course For?
This course is suitable for you if you are working in any of the following industries:
- Arboriculture Forestry
- Woodland industries
- Local authorities
This course is intended if you are already experienced in climbing trees using work positioning systems and who are experienced in chainsaw use, including felling small trees up to 380mm.
You must be physically fit and not suffering from vertigo or similar conditions or on medication that could affect their safety.
You need to be aware there may be pre-requisite training and/or assessment required before undertaking this training course.
Learners should seek advice from their Lantra Awards training provider.
Chainsaw users should be particularly aware of the potential hazards of being cut by the saw, hit by the timber and exposure to noise and vibration. A top or rear handled chainsaw with guide bar appropriate to timber size should be used.
This course is not appropriate for persons under 16 years of age.
- Duration: 3 Days
- HSE legislation and safety guidelines
- Preparing a chainsaw for use in a tree
- Securing the work position
- Cutting techniques
- Equipment inspection, storage and waste disposal.